Thursday, June 29, 2023

Supreme Court Decision on Affirmative Action

 Excerpts from the President of Yale University where I did my graduate work and taught at the Divinity School:

Dear Members of the Yale Community,
This morning, the Supreme Court issued decisions in two cases that examine the consideration of race in admissions. . . . I write today to reaffirm Yale’s unwavering commitment to creating and sustaining a diverse and inclusive community. . . . We will continue to foster diversity in its many dimensions and will use all lawful means to achieve it.
As I consider today’s rulings, I am deeply troubled, but I also have hope when I reflect on the words of the Reverend Pauli Murray, eminent Yale graduate, “True community is based upon equality, mutuality, and reciprocity. It affirms the richness of individual diversity as well as the common human ties that bind us together.”

No comments: