Thursday, June 6, 2019

I Remember D-Day: Words for Us all to Remember

So many words to remember from the 75th anniversary of D-Day (and some to forget). Angela Merkel, invited to participate, said that this military operation eventually also brought the German people liberation from the Nazis. It led to the reconciliation of Europe and 70 years of peace.
Queen Elizabeth, before whom others bow, rose to say thank you to a man who risked his life on the Normandy beaches. I remember her as a teenager actively participating in the war effort.
Utah Senator Mitt Romney stressed the word "Allies" saying that alliances are crucial. We must support the United Nations and NATO, and work together now as we did then. Even more so.
I was in kindergarten when D-Day was announced. I remember the "war plant" in Des Moines and the "brown outs" at night. And I remember being surprised when after WW II ended in 1945, radio broadcasts were about things other than war. I pray for and work toward a world of reconciliation, thank-yous, alliances, and peace.

No comments: