Sunday, November 29, 2020

Freedom from Having to Stop for a Red Light?

 I don’t believe it. But there it was, a “Letter to the Editor” in the Sunday morning paper. The man wrote, “I don’t think we need a law that requires Iowans to stop every single time at stop signs and lights.” I have been using the analogy of stop signs when writing that during a pandemic it is essential everyone wear a mask and social distance, saying “We accept laws that require us to stop for a red light.” That’s for the common good, so that we don’t cause other people to die.

The writer went on to make his case about not obeying traffic signs: “So what if there are a few more injuries or deaths. . . it’s a small price to pay for maintaining our constitutionally-protected freedom.” I don’t have a constitutional right to injure or kill people. Rather than worship the word, “Freedom” we need to believe that freedom is not just for me to do whatever I want. We have freedom from tyranny to “promote the general Welfare.” Oh, and what about seatbelts, and smoking regulations, and . . . ?

No comments: