Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Day 5 of Walk Around the Neighborhood

 Our neighborhood, Day 5: We walk back on Rock Glen, the nationally recognized historic district of Prairie-style homes, the largest collection in the world. Over a dozen homes in the Rock Glen, Rock Crest area on both sides of Willow Creek are in a beautiful setting. We could walk all around, by crossing the footbridge. It would take about 20 minutes.

For now, we simply walk by some of them and continue on our way back. We do pass the Stockman House (pictured here) designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and built in 1908, only 1 block from our home. The Park Inn Hotel, 4 blocks west downtown, is the only Frank Lloyd Wright hotel left anywhere. Built in 1910, it was recently renovated as a wonderful place to stay overnight.

Stockman House

One of the Prairie style homes on Rock Glen.


This is the four-plex across the street from the Prairie style homes. My mother and I lived in the 2-room apartment upstairs on the left while I was in college. (My father had died when I was 11 and my sister was now off teaching.) Mother lived there many years. We would enjoy the Prairie style homes across from us.



No comments: