Sunday, August 11, 2019

Cory Booker and I Talked about White Supremacy, Repentance and Authentic Diversity

Senator Cory Booker and I shared common concerns and commitments Friday night. I told him I appreciated his powerful words when speaking at Mother Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, SC, this week. He appreciated what I shared with him, that the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America will commemorate June 17 as a day of repentance for the martyrdom of the Emanuel 9—the nine people who were shot and killed June 17, 2015, during a Bible study. We stand against racism and white supremacy.
Booker knows the ELCA and he, (including the press with him) was eager to hear more. He was grateful that the ELCA in churchwide assembly this week voted to become a Sanctuary church body and took strong stands against racism, white supremacy and gun violence. Booker and I talked about the urgent need in this country to come together and to love one in “authentic diversity.”
Over 20 candidates for the Democratic Party nomination for president of the United States spoke before a gathering of 1200 in Clear Lake, Iowa, just outside Mason City, Friday night. Burton and I attended with son Joel, his wife Rachel, and their children Jackson and Jennaya. A number of the candidates attended a reception beforehand hosted by our State Senator Sharon Steckman.


No comments: